Q. What is the longest and widest nerve in the human body?
A. What is the sciatic nerve.
Q. What part in animals are not usual considered kosher meats in the Jewish religion due to the difficult process of deveining?
A. What is the animal's hindquarters, the area encompassing the sciatic nerve.
Q. What is sciatica?
A. Sciatica is pain normally caused by compression of lumbar or sacral nerves.
More information on the anatomical location of the sciatic nerve can be found here, through Duke University. Definition of spinal disc herniation can be located here. Symptoms are described as sciatica.
Alternative surgery treatments include:
1. Bed rest and lumbo-sacral support belt.
2. Physical therapy
3. Massage therapy
4. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
5. Oral steroids (e.g. prednisone or methylprednisolone)
6. Epidural (cortisone) injection
7. Intravenous sedation, analgesia-assisted traction therapy (IVSAAT)
8. Weight control 
9. Spinal decompression
Preventive measures: reference from the Mayo Clinic
1. STRETCH and EXERCISE
2. Maintain proper alignment. Remove the wallet from the back pocket before sitting down to keep vertebrates in line.
3. Always lift using your legs from a squatted position. Do not bend over from the waist.
4. Take breaks. Get up walk around, go to the water fountain. Stop for a second.